My favorite new South Asian art gallery in Philadelphia (ah heck, who am I kidding, the only South Asian art gallery in Philly) is looking for some bright young folks interested in working at their gallery.
Twelve Gates Art Gallery seeks part-time interns. Twelve Gates specializes in South Asian art. Students of South Asian Art/Art History will be preferred.
The candidates will assist gallery management in the full spectrum of gallery operations including show installations, marketing which includes emailing exhibition promos to clients, Creating annoucements cards, managing mysql databases of clients and artwork photos, answering phone calls and interacting with visitors.
The gallery regularly hosts special events like film screenings and concerts. Active participation in their planning is required.
Basic knowledge of photoshop, php, perl, pdf, excel a plus. These skills will be taught if needed.
This is an unpaid internship but it will be a great opportunity for the intern to gain some exciting art gallery experience.
To apply email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
P.S. Don’t forget to follow Twelve Gates Art Gallery on Twitter.
So in a misguided attempt to distract myself, I managed to read an actual, honest-to-goodness, paper-and-ink newspaper today. Here’s what I found:
1. Chinese chap accused of stealing Apple’s iPhone secrets. Commits suicide. Girlfriend gets laptop for compensation. What?
“Even so, the company paid compensation to Mr. Sun’s family. It declined to say how much, but Mr. Sun’s brother cited a figure of 300,000 renminbi, or more than $44,000, and said Mr. Sun’s girlfriend was also given an Apple laptop computer.”
Your boyfriend just committed suicide so they make up for it with a laptop? I sure hope she refused to take that. On the other hand…I’d do just about anything for a Mac Powerbook.
2. Go unions! Teachers at charter school KIPP (Knowledge is Power Program) recently unionized.
“In recent months, teachers have won union recognition at schools including the Boston Conservatory Lab School, a school in Brooklyn that is part of the Knowledge Is Power Program, an Afro-centric school in Philadelphia, four campuses in the Accelerated School network in Los Angeles, and a Montessori school in Oregon. Moves toward unionizing have revealed greater teacher unrest than was previously known.”
Anyone who knows a teacher who work at a charter school knows this is a good thing.
3. The whole Jersey fiasco distracted everyone from Vince Fumo. Good? Bad?
4. I will have no job in the future.
As graduation rolls around, hundreds of college grads in Philadelphia will find themselves with nothing to do. If you’re one of them, here are some tips to help your job search.
- Broaden your requirements. So, you’re a liberal arts major with a degree in Philosophy and no idea of what to do? Take time to research jobs outside of the obvious fields. (Not everyone has to teach – or work the fryer at McDonalds.) Odds are, if you’re a fast learner, you could probably perform well at a lot of jobs that you aren’t trained for and haven’t even thought about. Browse Yahoo! HotJobs or Monster for listings that apply to you. And don’t be afraid to take a risk doing something you’re not familiar with.
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged business, career, college, grad, hunting, internships, job, job fairs, Monster, resources, resume, Yahoo HotJobs